Friday, January 12, 2007

Rebekah is 8!


I can't believe our daughter is 8! Thank you to all who called or sent notes or gifts to Rebekah - that made the day extra special for her.
I decided to start the day off with a little hot chocolate in bed for my little grown up girl - yes, it is cool enough in the mornings to enjoy something hot ;-)

Later she got to enjoy some cake at the restaurant of her choosing. She was thrilled to be sung to and to be given a delicious piece of cake. Do you know the tradition here? After everyone sings they chant "Mordida, mordida, mordida" - the means basically to take a bite of the cake (whether it is a piece or the entire cake). However, when you are taking that bite, "someone" pushes your head down so that cake ends up covering your face instead of just that little bite.



After a late lunch (usually eaten around 2 or 3 here in Mérida), we took the kids to track where they had a chance to celebrate once again. I had gotten some brownie mix from Sam's Club and made 3 batches. There were about 23 kids in the class, but when someone has food, everyone comes over to see if they can have some, too. So the 50+ brownies I made were gone in minutes! :-)

I'd like to post a video of the kids singing to Rebekah - it's a very cute rendition of "Happy Birthday." Maybe Dave and I will spend part of our Friday date night working on that and I'll include the words and translation, too.

Oh, and, if you're reading this, Allyn - Happy Birthday! Enjoy the photos!

No comments: