Thursday, January 11, 2007

Thoughts from a 4 year old mind



Sitting at the kitchen table after breakfast yesterday morning, Jonathan declared to me, "I don't want to grow up." Thinking this very interesting for a little boy who always wants to be bigger (usually the age of his sister or brother . . .), I probed a bit. "You don't want to grow up? Why do you want to stay little?" I questioned. He emphatically, yet somewhat in a whisper replied, "It's that . . . I don't want you to get old. I don't want you to die."

Wow - he was willing to stay little if he could just know that Dave and I would be around for him. At least, that's how I look at it. What big thoughts for such a little guy. I let him know that that I would continue caring for him and that nothing could really be done about getting older or when a person died.

I dreamed last night that the reason behind a person (kid) sucking his thumb was to "stay small." Don't think there's any truth to that but strange to have dreamt it - our Jonathan still sucks his thumb and although I think it's simply out of habit, maybe he's trying to "stay small."

Our kids say lots of deep, profound things. Wish I could remember them all.

No comments: